Happy New Year’s Eve everyone!
I’m sitting here in complete disbelief that today is the last day of 2016. I can’t believe that we’re through another year and looking towards the next already. This time of year always brings such a range of emotions for me, such a bittersweet moment. It’s sad that another year has passed so quickly. It’s disappointing because I feel like I haven’t accomplished as much as I wanted to this year. Everyone is another year older, time keeps moving, and we continue to see terrible and scary things happening around the world.
However, on a happier note, this time of year is also so exciting!! New Year’s Eve holds so much promise and such a feeling of renewal. It is a chance to start over, to try new things, work on things we haven’t worked on, and better ourselves. I love the feeling of getting a new chance, even though it’s technically all in your head (because you technically can start working on anything anytime), but it still feels exciting. I always start out the new year feeling so hopeful and motivated.
Now I know that there are some mixed feelings when it comes to the “new year” and making resolutions. It seems as though people either A. love setting resolutions for the year ahead or B. are strongly against them and think them useless and silly. I’ve been on both sides, but setting resolutions give me something to look forward to and refocus on. And truthfully I enjoy setting up goals for myself (even if I don’t always follow though with them). I mean, I do get the frustration people have though because honestly, who ends up actually following through on their resolutions past like…January? If you do, I commend you, because so far I haven’t been able to.
Here are a few of the resolutions I’ve brainstormed for myself for 2017!
- Work on losing weight – exercise more, eat cleaner & drink more water
- Go to church more – not just on Easter and Christmas
- Get back into reading – I used to read all the time, but I haven’t read a book in over a year
- Hang out with my friends more often – I only see them once every few months
- Be more positive – I struggle with negativity in numerous different aspects of my life
- Spend less money on frivolous things – like Starbucks and Bath & Body Works
- Continue growing the blog – I’d love to better discover my “voice”
- Travel somewhere new – even just somewhere in the USA
- Swear less – I seriously cuss like a sailor
- Stop existing & start actually living life – most days I feel like all I do is merely survive
What are some of your resolutions for 2017? Remember that you are capable of anything you set your mind to. If you want it bad enough, you can accomplish it! A new year is a chance to start over and even if 2016 wasn’t all that kind to you, just keep telling yourself that the best is yet to come. Make this a year of finding, of fulfillment, of joy, peace and purpose. If you want this year to be your year, don’t sit on the couch and wait for it. Go out. Make a change. Smile more. Be excited. Do new things. Show more gratitude. Do things that challenge you. Be brave.
Wishing you all peace, love & laughter in 2017!